Gabriel Knight 3 is a 3D adventure game developed and published by [Sierra]
in late 1999. Here is some technical information about GK3.
Nearly all the files
, over 3600 of them, in Gabriel Knight 3 are stored in "barn
" files (files with a .brn extention). These barn files are spread across three CD's, each CD being used during a "day" of the game (the game takes place over three days). There are eight barn files in GK3:
- core.brn -- Contains directory information for every file in any of the barn files, as well as some files of its own
- common.brn -- Contains resources common to each day
- ambient.brn -- Contains the MP3 music used throughout the game
- day123.brn -- Contains resources common to each day
- day23.brn -- Contains resources common to Day 2 and 3
- day1.brn -- Contains resources used during Day 1
- day2.brn -- Contains resources used during Day 2
- day3.brn -- Contains resources used during Day 3
Files inside the barns can be either uncompressed or compressed. Compressed files are compressed with either LZO or ZLib.
More information on the barn format can be found at /GK3Barn. More info on the files within the barns can be found at /GK3Files.
Extracting files from GK3
Resource files can be extracted from GK3 using the built in console. Press SHIFT + CTRL + ~ to bring up the console, then type "extract" followed by a space, then press ENTER. A file called "!!!Readme.txt" will be created which contains information on how to extract additional files. It also creates a file called "gk3.log" with a list of all the resource files.
You can also use the GK3 barn browser, a tool created by a fan of GK3 (BradDaBug, to be precise) to easily view and extract files from GK3. It can be downloaded from http://www.fwheel.net/gkbrowser.html.
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/artohotti/ -- GK3 Editing Kit
http://www.fwheel.net/gkbrowser.html -- GK3 Barn Browser